Friday 1 May 2009

SIMO National Team Selection Test Day 1


I took the Day 1 of the Singapore International Mathematical Olympiad (SIMO) National Team Selection Test at NUS today, on Labour Day. But I laboured for 4.5 hrs. Ivan Loh from RI-JC laboured for less than 2 hours and everyone was so 'suan' (I think it means, envious or jealous of him). There were 3 questions and I solved 2.9 of them. It was easier than the normal IMO and at least 7 people could solve all of them. Q1 was a geometry qn, Q2 was inequality or algebra and Q3 was number theory. Q2 was a question in the RI's training 2 days ago and it was unfair as the RI students already knew the solution. Q1 was the easiest and I doubt anyone do not know how to solve it. Q3 was a pure whack method, where you used brute force to solve it.

I took 10 minutes to solve Q1, 2 hours to solve Q2 and 1.5 hrs to solve Q3. The rest of the time I did nothing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lim Jeck, I am Brandon and I am now in Pr 6. I have been reading your blog and I think it's really interesting! I will be going to sit for the NUS High School selection test in July this year cos I really want to go to NUS High. I like maths and especially science - like military weapons and tanks, and I want to join DSO next time so I think I will enjoy NUS High very much!

What is the selection test like? Is it very hard? Can you give me a few tips? My email is abbkoh@gmail.com

My eldest brother took the test many years ago and he can't remember so I hope you can help me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi i have a big problem I can solve most TST problems pretty quick(usually getting 4-5 right) and Round 2 is quite easy for me (except the algebra) but I have never passed round 1 before as I find round 1 questions to be too unorthodox and rather unwieldy. Also most of the Round 1 qns are algebra and i have never solved a TST algebra question(my algebra is horrible). Any idea how I can get into SIMO training or at least round 2 cus my NT combi and geometry can pass off as average IMO standard but I cant handle algebra. Thanks.

Unknown said...

how to register for national team selection test?