Saturday 4 July 2009

SMO 2009 (Open) Special Round

The SMO (Open) special round was held at NUS LT27, and it started at 9.06 am. There were 5 questions. Q1 was geometry, which for the first time, I whacked using trigo instead of using normal synthetic proof; Q2 was a very easy number theory qn; Q3 was quite difficult algebra, Q4 was a very difficult inequality qn and Q5 was a not-so-difficult number theory qn.

It took me about 4.499999 hours to solve Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q5. I tried Q4 but since it was inequality, and I HATE inequality, I did not spend much time to work on the question, because I simply could not remember all theorems on inequalities, such as AM-GM, Power mean, Cauchy Schwartz, Jensen's, and alot of other random theorems discovered by some long-name people.

The competition ended at 1.36 pm.

My sister is flying to South Africa tonight (2 am) with her three RGS friends and teacher. She is taking part in the World Youth Mathematics Inter-City Competition held at Durban. RI also sends a team there.

No comments: