Saturday 9 July 2011

2011 River Valley Maths Challenge

This is posted by Lim Li.

This morning, my teacher brought us (Wei Wei, Ji Xuan, Jia Ning, Stephen, Wei Jue and I) to the River Valley Maths Challenge (RVMC). 363 students from 62 schools took part in the RVMC. The participants were given free water and ruler. The individual round was easy, many people commented that they could do all the questions but I made a number of careless mistakes. The competition was held in the RVHS auditorium. We had to write our answers on the a separate sheet, there was no shading on OAS form. The team round was harder than the individual round, my team could not do one question and did not multiply correctly the last question, which was 59x59x59.

The food was nice, but I was just a tad disappointed that it was not buffet kind as each one of us had paid $5. There was mango pudding and packet lunch. I thought that the sauce was ketchup and was wondering why it was so spicy, until Step told me it was chilli.

At the prize presentation, there was an audience Math quiz where vouchers could be won by anyone who gave the correct answers. It was based on luck and quick calculation and we were not supposed to use calculator but I think I was not the only one who cheated as someone could compute 1000000000/50/60/24/365. They must call you before you could answer so an element of luck was involved here.

There were 10 individual prizes, 3 team prizes and 10 individual + team prizes. I won the 10th individual prize, which was a trophy. Sadly, my school did not get any team prize and my teacher was utterly disappointed as he could not brag now :P

No comments: