Thursday 16 September 2010

A Great Educational Toy

This is posted by LJ's mum.
My kids practically grow up with Tomy Megasketcher, a magnetic drawing board. It is their favourite toy. It has a unique screen that allows one to draw clear and crisp pictures, unlike the rough pictures drawn on honeycomb type magnetic board made by Fisher. I bought the first one when Lim Min was 4 or 5 years old and to-date I must have bought over 10 of them (about 1 every year) as the impression left on the drawing surface become quite faint after some months of heavy usage.

When my kids were young (before schooling age), they loved to to draw random pictures and complicated mazes (Lim Jeck's favourite), and now they use it to practise spelling/ tingxie, solve maths problems or just doodle and scribble.

It is a great learning companion for them all these years!

Lim Jeck solving a question that someone posted on Mathlinks.

Lim Li creating different ways of writing the word 'BAD'.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

did lim min draw anything,like'lim li is not good and she is very bad'?





pooh bear head(eyes were dug out)

Karmeleon said...

Eh, why? Is Megasketcher better than other brands? Is there some special feature?

Anonymous said...

Yes Megasketcher has higher resolution. Both use magnetic powder in white solution. However Megasketcher separates each cell as tiny bubbles less than 1mm diameter whereas each cell of Doodle (or other brands) is a honeycomb of at least 3mm size.

LJ's mum

Karmeleon said...

Wow - so scientific, but great. I should look for Megasketcher too. Yeah, I notice that the one I have and use with my toddler is not very clear. In fact, it's getting worse and time for change.

Very good for spur of the moment activities that I just happen to think of.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karmeleon,

You can buy Tomy Megasketcher from Takashimaya's toys section. I think it costs $39.90 or $29.90, sorry I forget which is correct.

Cheers,
LJ's mum

Karmeleon said...

LJ's Mum: Thank you very much! I was wondering where to find Megasketcher. Now I don't have to hunt high/low.