Friday 20 May 2011

Maths Talent Quest

This is posted by LL ☺

Hello. ☺☻. This afternoon, I played truant with Step, Wei Jue, Wei Wei and Ji Xuan. This time, we played truant for 15 min more than last time (30 mins). During that time, we had our lunch in our school canteen. We then took the school bus to Clementi Town Secondary School for the Maths Talent Quest competition.

We played some games while waiting for our turns to take the competition, which was on the computer. First, we played the Rubik's Cube and I totally failed. After that, we played Sudoku. Then, we went to play some games on the stage (without audience) - each person from each school can play one kind of game. I played sliding blocks. I had 5 mins to complete the puzzle but there was something wrong with the computer, I had only 1 min instead of 5 mins so I did not manage to complete it. Then I played another game that I could remember the name. At the end of the games, I only accumulated 4 points and could exchange the points for an 8-point star puzzle (see below).


Then, it was our turn to take the competition. It was challenging and I got 12 marks out of a total of 25 marks (1/2 more mark to pass!). During the competition, there was someone from another school hollering very loudly at the invigilator. Step got 11 marks, Wei Jue got 10 marks, Wei Wei got 9 and I do not know how many marks Ji Xuan got.

Following that, we went for our refreshments. There were some black thingy (carrot cake?), yellow stuff, cream puff, sandwiches, chicken wings ... The food was scrumptious and mouthwatering, especially the cream puff, which was luscious and cooling. The lemon drink was also very refreshing.

Next, we proceeded to the hall for the prize presentation ceremony. Step, Wei Jue and Wei Wei got Silver awards. I got Individual 5th (a trophy) and Gold award (another trophy). Step needed 1 more mark to get Gold. The Individual 2nd and 3rd got something like a tablet, but the Individual 1st won an iPad 2 (so lucky!!). My school also won 2nd for Team Award (a medal), same as last time (St Andrews Maths & Science Competition).

No comments: